Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 12, 2011

My Many Attempts to Create Surplus Chili

All I wanted was to create enough chili to eat for one meal and then freeze the rest in convenient, single serve containers. But alas, it has not been easy and, at this moment, I'm still not sure how this story will turn out.

Friday, I decided I was going to make chili for the weekend (perfect football food) and I was going to make a lot of it. I bought all the necessary ingredients and washed the crockpot.

Saturday morning, I forgot to soak the beans so I put them in the crockpot with plenty of water, turned them on high, and left for the day. Upon my return at 6:30 PM, the smell of burnt beans assaulted my sense of smell as soon as I hit the door. No chili that night but I told DH I would salvage the beans, cook the chili, and have it the next day after church so we wouldn't have to go out.

Sunday, there was no chili cooked so we ate out - twice.

Today, I went to our neighborhood Piggly Wiggle to buy beans because I had all the other ingredients. Walking down the bean aisle, I noticed the scrawny cans of beans and decided to buy this bad boy...

That's right.  A ginormous can of beans.  More beans, less meat.  Right??



111 ounces; 6 pounds, 15 ounces.  A size of a newborn baby.  I was going to have leftover chili.

However, my moody electric can opener would not work for me nor the manual one.  Apparently, you need a giant can opener to open a giant can.  Finally, an idea came to me.  I ran out to DH's tool box and came back in with these....



Metal cutting scissor type things.  I washed them really good and started cutting where my DD was able to make a hole with the manual can opener (she is quite strong).  Cutting away, I ended with this...




and a sliced thumb.  I am now awaiting the results of this three day long attempt at chili.  It better be worth it!



My highest hopes are that it is edible. We will see about that...






P.S. Tried to color my home at home at it is now purple.  It has been a very bad day :(

No comments:

Post a Comment